Surgery: pinning my heel back together

The morning of the surgery, a colleague and his wife picked me up and drove me to the medical center. I was led into my own personal waiting room, where I changed into a 21st century hospital gown and got comfortable. The nurse secured an air hose to my gown that allowed me precise temperature control. She turned the air on and the gown puffed up with warmth. Fancy.

I stayed here for a couple of hours, nodding off every now and again. The hospital bed was more comfortable than my own bed at home. Several nurses and anesthesiologists came in to attach doodads to me and ask me questions. Eventually I was wheeled into another room, where THREE anesthesiologists got to work on me. They were entertaining and fun to talk to. The last thing I remember was being told to lay on my stomach and being given something through IV that was supposed to make me “feel like you’ve had a few beers.”

. . .

I woke up some time later, thinking I’m glad that doesn’t happen every time I have a few beers, feeling pretty good. I was hungry, thirsty, and I had to pee, but I didn’t experience the wrenching nausea that I had after ACL surgery. Kudos to these anesthesiologists. The nurse who was in charge of me now brought me water in my own commemorative plastic water bottle with the medical center’s name on it (“Thanks for choosing us, come again!”) as well as saltines and graham crackers. She also offered me soda, which I found a bit absurd.

Shortly later, I was able to get up and use the restroom. The nurse called my ride and I was out of there in another 20 minutes. I never got to see my surgeon after the procedure and I had little information for aftercare. I bet most people don’t even bother to ask. Here’s me, actually caring about getting better and being a good patient, sheesh.

I was able to get into and out of the car on my own. My head felt a little swimmy, but that subsided after a few hours. Another friend came over to meet me at my apartment and spent the night to keep an eye on me. I didn’t need her for much, but I was glad she was there just in case.

Leave a Reply